Friday, April 17, 2009

Homemade Skirt

I finally almost succeeded in making something I could actually wear. Almost. The fabric that I used ended up making the finished product look much fancier than I expected and I'm not scheduled to attend any events. I may have to make up an event so I can wear it.

As part of our new homestead lifestyle and my general cheapness, I've decided to try making more and more things myself instead of buying them. I think I spent about $3.50 on the materials. I got the fabric in a grab bag of about 12 scraps of varying size and color from a thrift store. So far I've used some of it for curtains, a laptop keyboard cover, picnic table clothes, and now the skirt. I found the directions for how to make the skirt in a magazine (that I have a free subscription to). So the only stuff I had to buy to make it were the elastic and some orange thread. I guess it took about 2 hours total although if I actually wear it I need to redo the bottom hem. I think I was getting impatient at that point.

I'm going to try to make another one that I'll actually be able to wear on normal occasions. I learned some helpful things while I was making it. For instance, it's much easier to iron a flat piece of fabric than one that is already made into a skirt. I would have ironed when the directions told me to but I had left my iron at my mom's house. I may need to buy an ironing board too. I don't want to do anything rash though. I'll see how I feel about making more clothes after the next skirt.

2 comments: